Monday, December 29, 2008

R&R's house.


I'm at Rachel and Rob's house for a few days before I mosey on down to Blacksburg for a spell. The weather has been perfect (for some strange reason--It's late December), so I've been spending my days reading in their screened-in porch, preparing for next term (Heidegger and Russell--an odd combination if there ever was one). Last night I offered to make dinner for them. I went on over to Ellewood Thompson's and got some foodstuffs. We ended up having a Seitan (homemade) stir fry with brocolli and water chestnuts, peanut sauce (homemade), quinoa, and local beer. We ate it on the floor while we watched The Dark Night. A nice lazy Saturday, if there ever was one.

I hope I keep this blog going until the summer. Rachel and Rob have a fantasic garden. When the garden peaks in the summer they almost never buy food. They've grown onions, potatoes, garlic, watermelon, butternut squash, salad greens, dark greens, blueberies, blackberries, strawberries, thyme, basil, thai basil, rosemary, beets, pumpkin, tomatoes, you name it. It's such a nurturing experience to go into the backyard and dig the food you're going to eat out of the soil. It makes me feel rooted and empowered, as if I'm combating hyperreality one handful of sun-warmed soil at a time. I think Baudrillard would be proud! So come summer time I'll post some pictures of the garden.

And if you're ever in Richmond, VA, go to Ellewood Thompsons! It's seriously the best grocery store I've ever been to. They specialize in organic, local, sustainable, fair trade, healthy, veg-friendly food. They have a wealth of vegan options, and, if you're into that kind of thing, free range and "humane" meats, you know...if you're into that kind of thing. They're expanding and adding a fair trade, organic cafe soon. MacVegan paradise if there ever was one! Best of all, an Ellewood Thompson's is opening in D.C. in one year; me and my fellow districters can look forward to that!

I have my Christmas dinner photos, and I've been trying to upload them, but blogspot's been real cranky about those photos of late. I'll try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment