Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BBQ seitan.


This was a tag-team operation. My sister and I wanted to make something warm and heavy on account of the weather, but still make it as healthy as we could. We made this entire meal from scratch--every bit of it. It took us two hours, but they were enjoyable. I made homemade seitan with homemade bbq sauce. Vanessa made mashed cauliflower w/ homemade gravy. She also made this kick-ass broccolli slaw. All things considered, we did pretty damn well.

By the way, a lot of people assume that when vegans eat something out of the ordinary, it's because its more ordinary counterpart isn't vegan. This isn't the case. V made mashed caulifour because its a lot healthier than vegan mashers and tastes (almost) the same (V claims that they taste better than real mashers. I disagree. In fact, if it were up to me, we probably would have made regular mashers instead. I'm glad we did the cauliflower though). Anyway, my point is we didn't begrudgingly do cauliflower mashes because regular mashers 'aren't vegan' or something. It was just easier and healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment