Thursday, December 18, 2008

I think it can still be just like Norman Rockwell...











My sister Vanessa came home for Christmas today, so I wanted to make somefin fancy and festive for dinner. I also wanted to try my hand at homemade seitan again, which is getting surprisingly easy. I also wanted to do something with the Kale I had sitting around. Consult the Goddesses of Veganomicon! I found this badass looking recipe for Roasted seitan with brussell sprouts, kale, and sun-dried tomatoes stewed with red wine. Hell yes. It was a nice Fork You to the cold weather. We ate it around ye ol’ hearth. Norman Rockwell for the new millennium? Perhaps. Wish Rachel and Rob were there though.

I followed Isa and Terry’s reccomendation to make Broccolli Polenta with it. Unfortunately I couldn’t find yellow polenta in my one-stoplight West Virginia town. No surprise there—I just knew that white polenta would look like cat food, or worse, when photographed in my new precious food blog, so I pouted for a while (I got over it). I wanted to let it set and then pan fry it as a base for the seitan-kale-stewey-food-thing, but when it came down to it it seemed a bit too tedious and daunting. Next time, maybe. I just served it warm like grits--just as good.

Oh, and I made chocolate mouse with raspberries for dessert (I’ve never understood why raspberries has a ‘p’ in it. hmm…). Good stuff.

I've been told I should switch to wordpress, and I'm begining to see why. Look how oddly positions the photos are in this post. Again though, that also sounds tedious.

"Pressed down in your old quilt
and the third-grade chalk-stains on your fingers.
Grandma's sleeping in the other room-
Christmas is only ten months away-
I think it can still be just like Norman Rockwell!
I think it can still be just like Norman Rockwell!"

1 comment:

  1. Cloud Cult also rocks my mind! :-)
    Great Music, keep it on...

    ReplyDelete